| One of the last traces
of old time Wyandotte disappeared in January, 1941, with the passing from
the downtown area of the Rich Dining Car.
For 15 years the
unpretentious eating place, a familiar landmark of the Main Street era,
stood at the town's center, on Biddle avenue.
It was a haven for
homeless men, a meeting place for merchants and tradesmen, a rendezvous
for doctors, lawyers and bankers of the town. So, too, it was frequented
by bootleggers, taxi drivers, barbers, sailors, and persons of all walks
Its proprietor Don
Weed, was always on hand to welcome strangers with a cheery smile and to
greet his regular customers. Many a hungry waif was fed at the counter
of the old dining car, many a homeless wanderer found friendship there,
and many a business deal was closed.
Open day and night,
it was a place where one could sit and dream, play pinochle or checkers,
read the evening paper or talk politics, play over yesterday's baseball
game, fight in retrospect the battles of the first World War.
Not only was it a
jolly place to meet one's cronies, and every customer was to Don a personal
friend, but Dan made a point of serving good food, man-sized meals, plates
heaped with generous portions of meat and potatoes.
Many changes have
come to Biddle avenue, swank glass brick store fronts and smart restaurants
done in chrome and blue leather, but old-timers will always remember with
nostalgia, the old dining car. - Wyandotte
Newspaper July 8, 1954